Emmanuel Baptist Church

Our History

The church was started in the early 1950’s. The records show an application for a site in Kabah was made in July of 1955 by Rev J.P. Kromberg of the Uitenhage Baptist Church. There was a transfer of lease in 1958 to the corner of 24th and 25th Avenues. It also appears that worship services during this time were held at the Methodist Church building that was used as a school until it was destroyed by fire in 1960. The lease of the new site in 24th and 25th Avenue had not been finalised and so a request to temporarily reoccupy the Antonie and Nyanda Street was made to speed up the erection of a place of worship. The Council finalised the lease in October of 1960 and was signed in March of 1961 and a temporary structure was erected soon thereafter.

In June of 1973 we were given a 12 month notice to move because the area was now included in the Coloured Group Area and this site was also directly affected by a shopping centre to be developed. Between 1971 and 1973, the uitenhage Baptist Church was negotiating for the coloured church to keep this property. The decision was made in 1973 that a shopping centre was to be built there.

The building in 24th and 25th Avenue was shared between the coloured and black church in Langa. They were given permission to use the building until it is demolished during the development of the shopping centre. The black was allocated another site at 45- 47 Majombozi Street in 1974. This site was occupied until we were again moved in 1985 to Kwanobuhle.

The church had about six pastors since its birth namely Revs, Msizi, Ntsiko, Phandle, Dwaba, Stuurman, Mangwana and the current pastor, Dikana.

Share this page on facebook
Share this page on facebook
Vision and Mission Statements
We are striving to be the most caring, evangelistic, giving, growing and spiritually balanced church.
Click for more

Statement of Faith
We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments in their original writings as fully inspired of God and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith and life.
Click for more

History
The church was started in the early 1950’s.
Click for more

facebook
Church Page
facebook
Youth Ministry

Home | About us | Ministries | Calendar | News & Notices | Sermons | Gallery | Links | Contact us                 

Powered by Virtual Enterprises / Easy CMS Website Builder